Thursday, 5 April 2012

NI - 英国の国民保険

When I went to Job Centre Plus in Cambridge for an interview to apply for my National Insurance Number, I was quite nervous, because I hate interviews and any kind of "official" meetings the government requires. Every person living in the UK needs their own National Insurance Number, if he/she wants to work within the country or wants to get any sort of benefits from the government. People who were born in the UK and have British nationality get this number automatically at the age of sixteen, but foreigners need to apply for it individually. Some people just need to send the application form to the office and receive NI number without having an interview. Or some people need to go to Job Centre for the interview. Don't know how they decide you have to go to the interview or not, but anyway I was told to go when I gave a call to the main office to ask about NI number.

When I arrived at Job Centre, the officer took a photocopy of every single page of my two passports. Then the interview started. The officer, who didn't have a smile on his face but looked like a nice person, asked me my full name and date of birth, if I was married, if I wanted to register both maiden name and new (my husband's) surname, the reason I wanted to apply for NI, my nationality, my husband's name, birthday and his NI number, the date I arrived in the UK for the first time, the periods I was away from the UK. That was all. The interview took about 15minutes and the officer filled the application form for me while he was asking me these questions, which was good, because if I had to fill the form by myself, I would have taken probably more than an hour! The officer knew how to fill the form appropriately, so I was pleased that I came to the interview. It saved my time and energy. Also the questions didn't bother me or scare me at all. When I told him that I had got married in March, he showed me a big smile and said "Oh, then your wonderful new life has just begun!"  Then we both giggled. I think he was trying to make me relax. Then he asked me whether I left the country for more than 2 month or not since I arrived in the UK as a student in 2005. I couldn't remember. I might have gone back to Japan for a while, but I might not. I honestly told him "I can't remember because it was ages ago and I am old enough to forget that kind of things, ha ha ha". He checked my passports and said, "Well, don't worry then. That's fine! And you don't look that old, lady!" ...Ha ha, don't I? Then at last I signed all the photocopies of my ID and the application form. According to the officer I will receive my NI number in 2 - 6 weeks.

So, another job I've neglected for a long time is now done. This time, the interview was quite good. And I wish all the interviews were like this... but probably not. Whether an interview is scary or not is probably depending on what kind of interview it is and who the interviewer is...!


英国の国民保険番号、ナショナルインシュランスナンバーの取得申請をするため
ケンブリッジの職業安定所に面接に行ったとき、私、とっても緊張していました。
だって、面接とか、いかなる形での行政組織との面談って、大嫌いなんですもの!
英国に住んでいる人で、国内で働きたい、もしくは何らかの
福利厚生を受けたいという人はみんなこの国民保険に登録する必要があります。
 英国で生まれて英国籍を持っている人たちは、16歳になると自動的に
この番号、NIナンバーをもらえますが、外国人は自分で申請・取得しなくてはなりません。
取得には、申請用紙に自分で記入して郵送し、面接なしで番号がもらえる場合と
職業安定所に面接に行く場合と二通りあります。
面接の要不要をどうやって決めるのかは不明ですが、とにかく私の場合、
電話でメイン・オフィスに問い合わせた際、じゃ、面接行ってね、と言われました。

職安に到着するとまず、 役所の人が私の2冊のパスポートの全ページをコピー。
それからいよいよ面接の開始です。
 笑顔はあんまりないけどとりあえず優しそうなお役人さんが、
私の名前、誕生日、結婚しているか、旧姓と新姓両方登録してほしいかどうか、
なぜNIナンバーがほしいのか、国籍、夫の名前と誕生日とNIナンバー、
初めて私が英国に来た日付け、英国を離れていた時期はあるか、を質問してきました。
基本的に、それだけです。15分で終わりました。
その間、質問しながら職員さんが申請用紙に記入してくれました。
 これは助かった。自分で用紙に記入するのだとしたら、
おそらく1時間は確実にかかっていたことでしょう。
それに職員さんなら間違いなく記入する方法を知ってますから、面接来てよかった!
自分でやる時間も手間も省けたというものです。
質問の内容というのも、ぜんぜん恐れおののくようなことはなかったですし。
3月に結婚したのだということを伝えると、職員さん、満面の笑みを見せて
「じゃあ、すばらしい新たな人生が始まったばかりなんだね!」。
で、ふたりでへへへ、と笑ったり。
私がカチカチなのでリラックスさせてくれようとしたんですね。
で、それから2005年に私が学生として英国に来て以来、
2ヶ月以上国を離れたことはあるか、と質問してきましたが、私、覚えてません。
日本にしばらく帰ったような気もするし、それはしなかったような気もする。
 ので、正直に、「遠い昔のことなので覚えてないです、それに
私、若くないから昔のこととか記憶がさだかじゃないんです、あはは」と言うと
職員さん、パスポートをチェックして
「まぁいいや。問題ないよ。君、そんなに年寄りに見えないけど!」 ですって。
あははは、あ、そう?
で、最後に全部の身分証明書のコピーと申請用紙にサインをし、おしまい。
2週間から6週間以内に保険番号は送られてくるそうです。

というわけで、またひとつ、怠っていた事を無事やり終えた!
今回の面接はぜんぜん楽ちんでした。
面接というものが全部こんなだったらいいんですけど・・・たぶん違いますね。
面接が恐ろしいものかそうでないかは、おそらく、何のための面接かということと、
それに、面接官にもよるものですもんね!





ブログランキング・にほんブログ村へ

No comments:

Post a Comment


***How to post a comment***
1.Write your comment.
2.Press 'comment as' and select 'Name/URL',then type your name (and URL if you have).
3.Press 'post'. Please type the word verification as well.

***コメント投稿のしかた***
1.コメントボックス内に記入後、「comment as」をクリックして「Name/URL」を選び、名前を記入(URLもあればどうぞ)。
2.Postを押す。画像認証が現れるので、こちらもタイプしてPostしてください。